Safer travel PCSOs consultation 2018
|Purpose||Like many councils across the country, Lancashire County Council continues to face an unprecedented financial challenge due to continued funding cuts by Government, rising costs and rising demand for the services we provide.
We are committed to providing the best services we can to the people of Lancashire, particularly to the most vulnerable in our communities. However the council's financial position remains extremely challenging, with a forecasted funding gap of £144m in 2021/22. Because of this, we still need to make some difficult decisions in order to make further savings.
On 18 January 2018, the county council's Cabinet agreed to consult on the proposed removal of part-funding the police community support officers (PCSOs). There are currently two safer travel PCSOs jointly funded by Lancashire County Council and Lancashire Constabulary. Safer travel PCSOs work to reduce anti-social behaviour and crime on the bus network across Lancashire, including the unitary authority area of Blackburn with Darwen.
To do this the PCSOs
- investigate reports of antisocial behaviour on the bus network, including bullying, criminal damage, and verbal or physical assaults, both on buses and at bus stations
- provide easy access to confidential reporting for victims of bullying and anti-social behaviour
- work with school pupils, parents, schools and bus operators to change the behaviour of offenders, prevent future incidents and keep young people out of the criminal justice system. Serious and repeat offenders are banned from using bus services
- carry out undercover operations to identify and deal with those causing problems on particular bus services
- carry out uniformed patrols at bus stations to address and prevent anti-social behaviour affecting passengers and staff
- conduct document checks on taxi drivers providing home to school services, on their licences and clearances
- conduct evening operations with neighbourhood police to target behaviour, such as missile attacks directed at public transport and taxis
We would like to hear your views on the proposed removal of part-funding and ceasing the two safer travel PCSOs.
Crime and community safety
|Commissioned by||Health, Equity, Welfare and Partnerships|
All of Lancashire
Questionnaire - online
|Date||05/03/2018 - 15/04/2018|
|Undertaken by||Business Intelligence|
For more information about this research contact: