Penwortham Corridor and town centre improvements
|Purpose||Construction of the Penwortham Bypass is now well underway and, once it is open, we will be undertaking improvement works along the A59 Liverpool Road 'corridor' between Howick and the junction with Cop Lane and in Penwortham Town Centre.
This will include traffic calming measures necessary as part of the planning consent for the Penwortham Bypass to discourage though traffic from using the A59 and encourage use of the new road.
We also want to consider what other measures may be possible to put in place that promote cycling, walking and public transport use as part of our 'City Deal' project. This work would also aim to improve the public realm in the commercial and retail centre of Penwortham.
As part of the planning process for the bypass there were some theoretical ideas of how the town centre could look once the benefits of a bypass have been realised. We are now starting the process of developing viable concept designs for both the corridor measures and the town centre.
We want to hear your ideas and suggestions on improving the environment in the town centre and along the A59 corridor. This will help to inform the design process.
Come along to one of our drop in events at Penwortham Youth and Community Centre (3 Priory Lane, Penwortham, PR1 0AR) on:
- Wednesday 26th September 2018 from 1pm to 8pm
- Saturday 29th September 2018 from 10am to 4pm
If you are unable to attend one of these sessions we would welcome any comments you may have by completing the questionnaire available by clicking the link above.
What Happens Next?
Following these drop in events, concept plans will be developed for the wider corridor measures required by planning consent to promote the use of the bypass and for the proposed town centre public realm improvements. Concept plans for the corridor will be submitted to the planning authority in January 2019.
In spring 2019, once we have developed plans for the town centre improvements we will open a public consultation period and host a series of consultation events to present these plans and listen to your views before finalising the design.
Works to deliver improvements to the corridor and town centre will commence upon opening of the Penwortham Bypass programmed for January 2020.
Key milestones for the Penwortham Corridor and Town Centre improvements are as follows:
- September 2018 - Public drop in events held to encourage positive contributions from the public, which will help to inform the planning and design process.
- January 2019 - Corridor concept plan developed and submitted to the Planning Authority. This plan will show the wider 'corridor' measures along the A59 Liverpool Road to promote the use of the bypass. This is required as part of the Penwortham Bypass planning conditions.
- Spring 2019 - Concept plan developed for Improvements to Penwortham Town centre and public consultation undertaken.
- 2020 - Penwortham Bypass to open and works to commence along the A59 Liverpool Road corridor including Penwortham Centre
We look forward to seeing you at one of the drop-in events or hearing your views.
Economy and regeneration
Traffic management, traffic calming measures
|Commissioned by||City Deal Delivery Team|
Questionnaire - online
|Date||31/08/2018 - 10/10/2018|
|Undertaken by||City Deal Delivery Team|
For more information about this research contact: